In A Game of Thrones, Jon Snow asks Tyrion Lannister why he reads so much. ‘A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge,’ Tyrion explains. Taking Tyrion’s words as gospel, here are 10 reasons why reading is the best, and why tonight you should pick up a book, rather than staring at a screen.
1. Because you know what’s going on in the film/tv show
Until Season 6 of Game of Thrones, at least.
2. It’s totally a valid excuse to ignore everyone ever
GO AWAY. I’M READING.
3. Because it can make you a terrific smart-arse
— craig stone (@craigstone_) October 2, 2014
4. If you’re well read, you’re sexy.
5. You can become BFFLs with someone if you both love the same book
6. Reading allows you to use your imagination
7. Why go out when you can read?
I have wine and a book. Why do I need to leave this chair?
8. It can reduce stress
Anyway, technically you’re not doing nothing if you’re reading.