‘L’appel du vide’ – The call of the void

‘L’appel du vide’ – The call of the void

Ever feel like jumping off a cliff for no reason? Maria Mandic explores the fascinating science behind why we often find ourselves contemplating doing insanely dangerous things

Standing at the top of the Eiffel tower on a beautiful, sunny day in Paris, my first thought was ‘I could jump’. Not ‘What a stunning view of a culturally rich metropolis’ or ‘I wonder what the City of Light looks like at nighttime’, but ‘I could jump off of this tower in just one leap’, and I wondered why. A quick search on Google showed me that I wasn’t alone. There were numerous paranoid reddit threads, tumblr posts and definitions, from Collins to Urban Dictionary, demanding explanations for their seemingly suicidal urges.

Digging a little deeper, driven mostly by morbid curiosity but also by a slight doubt of my own sanity, I found that the temptation we feel when we’re standing on the edge of a cliff to take a step forwards and fall into oblivion is so common that the French actually have a name for it; ‘L’appel du Vide’. When translated into English, it means ‘Call of the Void’ and unlike most foreign idioms, this one makes sense even when translated literally.

Some more research yielded scholarly articles, which gave the French phrase a proper English translation termed ‘High Place Phenomenon’ (HPP). A study conducted in 2012 at Florida State University on 431 undergraduate college students investigated the volunteers’ experience with HPP, depressive and anxiety symptoms, suicidal ideation and behavioural history.

The original explanation for the phenomenon was suicidal ideation but when such a high number of participants reported feelings associated with what is now known as HPP, even those with no history of suicidal thoughts, the idea of HPP was born. The study reported experiences of HPP with those who have suicidal thoughts and those who don’t, suggesting this was a concept separate from suicide ideation and perhaps something most people experience in their lifetime.

However, the phrase High Place Phenomenon is misleading. The same concept can be applied to the impulse you get when driving and you feel the need to suddenly swerve and crash into a tree or abruptly jerk the steering wheel to the left on a bridge. I’m sure you are familiar with the scenario in a tube station, you see the train approaching the platform, you’re near the tunnel it’s exiting and you feel your knees stiffen as the impulse to jump in front of the train flashes through your mind. These examples still adhere to the concept of HPP as the apparent suicidal intention is still present, but in different forms of self-destruction.

The study suggested the reason for this phenomenon was a misinterpretation of a safety or survival signal, with fear playing a huge role. If an individual is more sensitive to these safety signals, then they will be more likely to experience the phenomenon. This is especially true for people with higher levels of anxiety as they have a higher tendency to misinterpret environmental and bodily signals. For example, when I was walking on top of the Eiffel tower, I wandered near to the edge where there’s a railing and metal cage enclosing the space. As I leaned into the cage I saw the sharp drop from the top of the tower to the ground and inadvertently stepped back. I then became aware of the fact that I wasn’t in any actual danger as it was perfectly safe. So why did my mind tell my body to step backwards? It could be because I wanted to jump and my brain was in fact saving me.

This supports the previous study’s title ‘An urge to jump affirms the urge to live’, as the experience of the phenomenon could in fact reflect an individual’s sensitivity to internal signals which in turn affirms their will to live. The idea put forward by Sigmund Freud of a “death wish” where he stated that ‘everything living dies for internal reasons’ and ‘the aim of all life is death’ could explain the impulse to jump off of high places. It is proposed that the phenomenon actually demonstrates the strength of the survival instinct. Therefore, even with Freud’s proposal of such emotions being present in the human brain, we continue to avoid danger when confronted with the Call of the Void.

40 Comments

1. Avatar
    The Red Fox
    September 25, 2017 / 2:31 am

It’s a very common feeling, reoccurring, and quite hard to discuss with others, but it’s certainly a real one. Having it doesn’t mean you want to die so much as an intrusive thought or that little rush of adrenaline happens. Nevertheless, I came back to this article over a year later because it still holds true to form.

2. Avatar
    The Blue Hyena
    October 6, 2017 / 4:06 am

I find this fascinating and I’m so glad I found out there’s a name for it. As with most things, we could be over-analysing it. After all, couldn’t it just be morbid curiosity?
    The ‘What If’ thought, the testing of boundaries and the affirming of power of choice in our lives – ‘I COULD do this…’ it’s powerful.

3. Avatar
    Amanda foster
    November 16, 2017 / 11:00 pm

I have had this feeling many times in many different ways. It’s something I could never bring myself to talk about and it’s good to know I’m not alone or insane

4. Avatar
    Contemplation
    November 17, 2017 / 10:55 pm

To have a name for this was exceptionally relieving. And to know others are the same is even more so. I have had this issue for many years; and have never been able to speak of it without people looking at me like I’ve lost my sanity. I’d ask ‘Can you feel that?’ and I’d get blank looks of ‘Do I need to call an ambulance?’

Everything from standing on a glass floor in a spire; looking down and thinking “I wonder if I could break this glass while I’m standing on it.” to being on a boat and thinking “If I jump off now; I wonder how long I would last.” it has been a morbid and stressful curiosity I’ve long suppressed. And it was never just for myself; but for others too. “What if I push them off.” and followed by calculations of possible success and repercussions.

Never the ‘need’ to follow through with the urge; but a simple conceptual design before rapid dismissal.

Trey
      December 9, 2018 / 2:39 pm

You literally just described my life

Owais
        January 2, 2019 / 12:11 pm

There there!

5. Avatar
    Michael
    December 6, 2017 / 4:30 pm

We simulate to understand; how long it would take me to get to the door, how long it would take someone in the distance to reach me, how to unscrew a bottle cap, how to lift an awkward object. The strength of imagination, or how visceral/consciously apparent it is, is determined by the extent to which it elaborates the system. In the hpp phenomena, we simulate to understand the danger, it is an automatic process, but, coupled with the fact that these incidents often take place when you have time to think about them, and their visceral nature/their extremity/your fear, the simulation jumps out at us more than in the everyday cases in which we do the same thing. Then we naturally question why we’re doing it, and misinterpret it as a desire. Our capacity for simulation also explains why we find magic so plausible

6. Avatar
    Jc
    December 19, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Pure ocd. Read up on it.

7. Avatar December 30, 2017 / 8:35 pm

Wow, I thought it was because of my psychosis. Relieved to see others who share my pain.

8. Avatar
    L'Appel du Vide.
    January 13, 2018 / 3:41 pm

I like the fact that you acknowledged that the name “HPP” was misleading.
    The “proper” English name, as you call it, sucks ass.
    Call it Appel du Vide. Or Call of the Void.
    That’s what it is. It has absolutely no correlation with highs.
    These acronyms are out of place, make no sense and the next step will possibly be to create medications for this absolutely natural and in a way, beautiful, impulse.
    Thanks, nice article.

9. Avatar
    Jared
    February 2, 2018 / 2:09 am

I along with everyone else am relieved to hear that it’s so common that the French have named it. That’s also a super bad assistance name for it, too. I used to definitely think it was suicidal ideation tI’ll I confirmed with my SO and our best friends that they’ve experienced it too.

The simulation idea is fascinating and I never thought about in so many words before. It makes sense kind of like how developing children break and mess things up. The parents get mad at the behavior but they’re just learning. I guess those simulations never stop. Maybe they just switch gears once you have all the fundamentals down and are aware of the concept of danger, the simulations become more about preservation?

10. Avatar
    Colin
    February 24, 2018 / 1:36 pm

I can’t even look at images of high places, or visualise being on them, without feeling all the anxiety symptoms associated with this.

11. Avatar
    Sofie
    March 2, 2018 / 6:10 pm

omg, this! THIS!!! 6 years in therapy, and some of the reasons are perfectly described in this article, but none of the professionals I’ve talked to about it with have had a clue. It was diagnosed as ptsd and suicidal tendencies even though I am dead scared of dying 😛 6 years on medications that have done nothing but made me sick, given me heart flutter and increased anxiety. *sigh*

Anonymous
      November 23, 2018 / 8:41 am

Please get lab work for all vitamin and hormone levels. Treat any deficiencies via diet or naturally supplements.

12. Avatar
    Thomas Welch
    March 9, 2018 / 9:26 pm

Were you at the top of the tower thinking “imagine if Eiffel”?

Anonymous
      November 27, 2018 / 2:59 am

*ba dum tss

13. Avatar
    Monica
    March 16, 2018 / 8:22 pm

I realized this was called L’appel du vide a few months ago, and that was such an amazing moment…that I wasn’t alone, that ‘this’ existed!
    But, this article is such a perfect example of the feeling and thought behind it…i will keep this to explain the sensation to others. THANK YOU!!

14. Avatar
    Javad
    March 20, 2018 / 2:02 pm

Fascinating, really. That we the complicated human beings feel like jumping off a cliff into our beloved fates but our brains orders us to step back. This means We are greatly different from our brains. We go through feelings and instincts command us and we just do it, without having any knowledge of the reason behind it. Really wonderfull our brains are but it’s exactly the core to all our mental problems, perhaps we should send a bullet right through it?

15. Avatar March 22, 2018 / 3:41 pm

I am so happy and relieved to read that others have these same feelings and thoughts. I always thought I was not well to think this way. Like CONTEMPLATION above, I too have run scenarios through my head of causing such things to others as well as myself… of course with never a thought of follow through.

16. Avatar
    Cezary
    April 6, 2018 / 11:26 am

Yesss! For so many years I was researching this feeling, on myself, even talk to people if they feel the same. Mere results some have had that feeling.
    Then this article. Thank You.
    As written before – such a relief knowing I’m not alone in this.
    So It’s just brain coming with calculations of possible threats on thi first plan?

17. Avatar
    Danielle
    April 12, 2018 / 2:02 am

I just saw part of this article on a meme via Facebook. Which lead me to a search. I am so relieved to know I’m not insane. I have never told anyone that I think that way from time to time for fear of being labeled insane or suicidal. I would never ever commit suicide yet there were these thoughts, swerving the car, jumping off a ledge… what if? And then an almost tingling down my spine of how awful it would be within seconds. SO happy it’s so common!

18. Avatar
    Jorja
    May 7, 2018 / 4:51 am

Some people get the urge to do things such as jumping off of a high place and pushing people into deadly situations because it is the strongest choice that we can make in that moment. We want to do it because in our minds, it has the most effect on your life. It puts yourself in a position of power, you begin to become aware that you have control over life and death.
    The phenomina doesn’t just include the urge to do something that will kill you or something else, it could also be something just as simple as throwing your phone into the water while at the beach, or throwing your laptop at a wall. In a relatively safe situation, that would have the biggest effect on your life, it’s the strongest choice you could make.
    We know that we would never do anything like that, but you are aware that you have the ultimate power to do so.
    Thanks for the article.

19. Avatar
    Abelardo
    May 15, 2018 / 3:51 pm

Yes, when I was a child I felt jumping off a cliff…but when I did it, I felt fear because I could die. It was a hipnotizing call for doing it.

20. Avatar
    skye
    May 30, 2018 / 4:40 pm

In 2018, I find it funny that something like this actually needs a special name like this. It grossly romanticizes one of the brains most basic functions, which is to make decisions.. As this article suggests, it’s your brains job to keep you alive, and it would actually be more weird if stuff like this DIDN’T flash through your mind. This is a joke to people who actually live with mental illness and aren’t trying to make themselves more interesting.

Beebs
      December 19, 2018 / 8:05 pm

Skye…. shhhhhh.

It’s common to suffer from mental illness AND have these feelings that are difficult to explain. This article helps folks understand it. I didn’t know that it was common until last night, and I feel a huge sense of relief having a name for it. So just… shhhh.

21. Avatar
    Boosh Shayno
    June 3, 2018 / 10:35 pm

LOL came from the danisnotonfire vid but this is so much deeper than i thought. i relate. thnks for the article!

22. Avatar
    skye
    July 7, 2018 / 8:15 am

From one Skye to another….the term has been around forever…and as someone who does live with bi-polar disorder I find it quite comforting to know that I’m not alone in this. The term is in no way glamourising it…it is nice to know that enough people have felt the same way to have come up with a term for it. Makes ya not feel so crazy and alone 😉

23. Avatar
    Victor
    July 21, 2018 / 1:13 pm

Maybe it’s “like a moth to a flame”.

24. Avatar
    Samantha
    November 22, 2018 / 9:16 pm

Accidentally came across this tonight. Very helpful article. I’ve had this happen to me since I was a child and it’s great to know I’m not the only one and it’s that common! Really interesting and reassuring, thanks !

25. Avatar
    Jacqueline Leong
    November 27, 2018 / 2:58 am

The call of the void…It’s not just beautiful, it’s not just awe inspiring, it’s not just a vast magnificence. It’s an emptiness that is calm, it is accompanied by a deafening silence in the midst of the chaos around you, and inside your heart, and yet, the heart beats slowly and calmly. It’s an interesting emotion. All the “what if”s start to pop up in our head. To question what are our chances of surviving something fatal and still coming out with only minor injuries. The urge to challenge death itself, if you would call it. A truly remarkable feeling in my opinion, would I want to feel that way again? Yes.

26. Avatar
    cazare revelion 2018 munte brasov
    February 28, 2019 / 5:30 pm

I always spent my half an hour to read this weblog’s posts every day along with a cup of coffee.

27. Avatar
    Gerradm
    March 24, 2019 / 3:35 am

It’s humbling to know others have these thoughts race through their thinking almost daily if not. I’ve felt at times to shake my head dizzy to resolve them. Talking about them helped. Informative to say the least, good read.

Izzy
      March 26, 2019 / 10:06 am

Google OCD and Pure OCD! Sounds like you have some symptoms of it 🙂 there is help if the thoughts are daily and make life hard for you! Best wishes, friend.

28. Avatar
    Isabel Ferrante
    March 26, 2019 / 10:04 am

Thanks for the article! Very illuminating, I have something called Pure OCD wherein intrusive thoughts like these are common. If you’re reading this and you suffer from other forms of intrusive thoughts, like hurting people or hurting yourself, please google OCD and explore if you might be suffering from one of the common themes within that illness. Loved the article, very poetic and scientific explanation of the HPP phenomenon 🙂